Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday

Yes, its Mardi Gras day!!! Woohoo celebrate!

This comes from the period of time when it was customary to give up something in a fasting manner for the 40 days before Easter. To fast something would be to replace it with prayer to the Lord in thanksgiving. Carnival was celebrated as the day of celebration of meat or 'carne' as when the people planned to not eat meat for lent. So they really lived it up on fat tuesday! This the culmination of the festivities of Mardi Gras. Such tradition in these events.

I have decided to give up bread. Initially, this is because I have been wanting to cut it out of my diet in an attempt to be eating more 'paleo' if you will, which is more honestly more healthy. Its a diet that is mainly lean meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and no grains or sugars. And Ironically no really beans or corn. Which I hate. But thats beside the point. I hate bread. But I love bread. And so I decided to go until Easter without it.

Then Jessica-Lauren so kindly pointed out that lent began with good intentions, but the world has made it so legalistic, like a new years resolution. We dont really care to substitute our desire for the thing we give up with prayers of thankfulness and repentance. So, I began thinking. And realized my conviction.
Perhaps more importantly, since some of my goals for the year are to make consistent changes toward a healthy lifestyle and be much more intentional with my prayer life, this seems like a great opportunity to do both.

Now may my life be changed!

Thanks Fat Tuesday.

Oh yeah, and my Redeemer. because He will love me just the same if I let Him and myself down with this goal. But I hope to grow in this. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment