Thursday, November 14, 2013

Alive and 25

Well its my birthday today. I wish I had something profound to say since I a quarter of a centurion. But I do not think that I do. I know that the last year of my life has been a whirlwind....

On my 24th birthday, I ran 4 miles which was a new personal best in both distance and speed. I was trying to prepare for  a 10k that I wasnt sure I could finish, but that weekend...I did. It was awesome.

That running therapy turned into training as I signed up for a half marathon and pledged to raise $2100 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; which I also did, by the Grace of God. He is using the funds to help find cures for sweet people who are suffering from diseases that they didnt ask for... And I ran 13+ miles for them since they cant and the Lord has blessed me with health so far in my short life.

I got to spend some good time with my dear friends, the Walker family, as I nannied for them at new years conference. That was definitely ordained. The Lord began the next phase of healing my heart that He began last fall. It was tough, but it was so good. I came home from Nashville feeling more free than ever before.

I spent the next few months caring only about Lord's many thoughts of me rather than being consumed by others' thoughts of me. Such freedom that I didn't know I wasn't so free before, from this bondage of 'the approval of man'. I was even enjoying singing in front of people...well the kids. I was free!
(To under stand what a big deal this is for me, you have to know the back story: I used sing ALL the time as a kid...until my friends started singing in front of the church. This TERRIFIED me- I just knew that brother David was going to ask me to sing and how could I tell him no?? I literally would hide in the bathroom to avoid being asked to read the scripture in front of folks (this is amusing because I am a Public Communications graduate haha!). Then my darling, musically inclined, daddy bought me a karaoke machine for my 10th birthday. That pretty much muted me. My only place of solitude to sing was mowing the acres of grass at our home- that became my favorite chore. Plus, you get to jumpstart your tan...thank you Native American heritage!! So there you go, singing in front of anyone is way scary and HUGE for me.) But there I was, enjoying leading worship...

And then Brady and I led worship together at Covenant Youth Discipleship.

Now, I thought he was special, but he was younger than me...so no go Sav. Then we started hanging out more, and he is incredible. Then he asked me out and told me he wanted to pursue me. I mean, I would be lying if I didn't think I was so going to marry him on that first date to St. Paul and the Broken Bones at Workplay on March 29 during this conversation:

Brady: So you seem to be open to a relationship.
Me: Yes. I think so. 
B: So what are you looking for out of a relationship?
Me: Well...um... Direction? Leadership from the Lord...
pause
Me: (thinking) Gosh he has been asking a lot of good questions tonight. I probably need to to that...
Me: What about you? 
Me: Seriously...thats your good quest-
B: Im looking for a wife. 
Me: Oh!
This guy. This is the guy.

Oh we went to a few concerts, had a first kiss, went to some weddings, and by May we were talking about marriage. I spent my first summer in Flotown with this guy and we fell in love.
I'm talking...cant eat, cant sleep, reach for the stars, over the fence, world series kind of stuff!!

I took summer classes and interned at Bradford...worked way too many hours and got sick with mono and then kidney stones. He really showed me how much he loves me.

And then I won this photo shoot/date night...

School started again and I took fewer classes- much more manageable. My new supervisor is fabulous and we have become great friends. I wish I was full time in the office because I love our team. But Im not so I have been applying for jobs here and there.

When the day of our photo shoot came around...gosh I still cant believe that he proposed to me that crisp October day. It was perfect.

Last week was his birthday, so we have been celebrating for days :)

Today I even had to convince myself that it is in fact my birthday. So here we sit, sharing a bowl of ice cream, watching When Harry Met Sally, planning to watch The Office, and enjoying each other. What a great birthday.

My last birthday as Savannah Smith :)

No comments:

Post a Comment